|Rules for the Experiments|
In order to participate in experiments conducted in the CIRANO laboratory, a person has to register online first. By registering for laboratory experiments, you indicate your intention of taking part in experiments conducted by researchers affiliated to the CIRANO (Center for Interuniversity Research and Analysis on Organizations).
- Every time there is a new experiment, a certain number of participants will get an invitation email. Only the invited individuals have the right to take part in the experiment.
- If you get an email inviting you to participate in a particular experiment, you have to answer positively to this email in order to be able to take part in the experiment. By doing so, you indicate your commitment to participate.
- For each experiment, an excess number of participants will be invited. The first invited individuals arriving at the experiment's location will be able to take part in the experiment. Participants who are invited and confirmed but are not allowed to participate in the experiment after showing-up on time due to capacity constraints or other failures will be compensated with a show up payment.
- Every participant who is invited to an experiment, confirmed his presence and showed up on time will at least be compensated by a show up payment.
- Usually, participation will be compensated in cash. The amount depends on the participant's and other participants' decisions during the experiment, as well as chance.
- During an experiment, each participant will have to act upon the rules stated by the experimentalists in the instructions.
- To ensure that only those people who have been invited and who positively answered to the invitation email take part in the experiment, participants are asked to bring a picture identification card with them. A participant who does not carry an identity card will not receive the show up payment and might not be able to participate.
- People who give their agreement to take part in a particular experiment have to keep in mind that if they do not show up or show up late the experiment could be cancelled because of a lack of participants.
An attendance record is kept and repeated absences (3 or more) will result in your not being asked to participate in our experiments anymore.
If you chose to participate, you will be asked to make decisions for which you will be compensated. At the beginning of the session you will receive detailed and accurate instructions describing how your compensation will depend on decisions made by you and other participants. The rules and the compensation may vary across sessions and may differ between participants. Interaction usually takes place over a computer network, and your identity is not revealed to other participants.
Should you chose to withdraw after reading the instructions, you are under no further obligation to us. If you chose to stay for the decision making portion of the session, you are entitled to the compensation as it was described to you in the instructions. Payment is made following the session in cash. It is made in private and you will be asked to sign a payment receipt. The receipt is for accounting purposes only and will not be linked to your responses.
Participants do not waive any legal rights through their participation. Your participation is voluntary. If you decide to participate, you are free to withdraw your consent and discontinue participation at any time without penalty. Your decision whether or not to participate will not affect your relationship with your university or any other organization. The use of deception at CIRANO is prohibited. If you have any questions about the laboratory, the research conducted at CIRANO, or if you wish to remove your name from our list and stop receiving notifications contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org, at (514) 985-4000 x3016.